Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Relatively Uneventful Night

Mom slept well, other than getting agitated twice. Benadryl is good stuff! When it gets out of her system, she gets agitated. We're going to ask the doctor this morning if they can give it closer together than every four hours, since 3 & 1/2 hours is all it seems to last for her...almost to the minute. Dr. Dunn, the oncologist, came by this morning and discussed stopping her chemo treatments. We agreed. He said that there is a possibility that it is contributing to her agitation by having a toxin in her system, and that at this point, she'd be better off not having anything adding to that.

During one agitation, I (Lori) was standing in front of her. She was staring with unseeing eyes through me as she was trying to sit up to breathe easier. Then all of the sudden, she looked at me, REALLY looked at me, and recognition flashed across her face. She smiled at me and said, "Hey Darlin'!" and leaned forward to give me a hug. A sweet, precious, priceless moment for me to treasure. A gift. I honestly would not have expected her to become that "alert" due to the heavy mediations that she is on currently. As quickly as it came, the moment left and we went about the business of soothing her.

For those of you tracking Todd and Troy's exhaustion levels, they slept VERY soundly, rousing only long enough to soothe Mrs. Vickey, then crashing back to sleep. They have been wonderful sons, only leaving the room for an hour here or there, and being so loving, compassionate, and gentle with their mom. If you ever need around the clock nursing care, I highly recommend the Smith Brothers Team! (But their fees are VERY high from what I understand...like you have to have given birth...to them!). : )

2 comments:

  1. I love and miss you all.

    Make sure when you hug her, to hug my sweet aunt Vickey a little bit longer for me.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know they say a man who loves his mother makes a good husband. You and Barb have definite winners!

    ReplyDelete